Saturday, 9 February 2013

Feature: Nerdy Aprons!

I love seeing people's creativity, so I jumped at the chance of featuring DarlingArmy.

The brains behind DarlingArmy is Amanda Marin, who creates custom-made aprons for a whole host of nerd-dom, gaming being a large proportion of it. On her Etsy store and deviantART page, she shows off her creations, those inspired by Zelda, Pokemon and Portal to name a few.

When I asked Amanda these two questions, she replied with these answers:

What inspired you to create these aprons?
I've actually been creating femme cosplay designs for my best friend and myself for several years. We're both a little tan and therefore can't always cosplay for authenticity, so why not cute it up? Afterall, I don't wear pants in real life, why should I when I cosplay?

Anywho, the aprons came about when I was strapped for cash while I was student teaching full time and still going to school full time. When Christmas came around and I had no cash, I had to use scrap fabric to make my friends geeky aprons.

From there I decided to sell them. Instead of offering dresses, I decided pinafores were much more versatile and accessible for all women since they can be worn fifty different ways instead of just one way like a dress <3


What has been your favourite design so far?
Gaaaaaaah. Such a hard question. I would say...probably my design for Matt Smith's new costume for the newest season of Doctor Who. When I found the leaked photos from the filming of the new episodes, I instantly fell in love with the deep colours!
Amanda's current favourite design!


Check out a few of her gaming designs below.


This has to be my favourite!




Check out more of DarlingArmy's work here:
Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/darlingarmy
deviantART- http://darlingarmy.deviantart.com/

4 comments:

  1. Dear lord! These are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great, aren't they? I'd love a Zelda apron personally. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Could you tell me the amount of each fabric you used for the companion cube? Id like to make it for a school project.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!

      Unfortunately I cannot tell you the answer to that, but I can point you in the direction of the artist who made these (she goes by the name of DarlingAmy). Feel free to send her a message and I'm sure she'll be able to help you out!

      http://darlingarmy.deviantart.com/

      Delete

Leave your comment here!
Please note that any offensive comments or spam will not be approved.
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...