Friday, 18 May 2012

My Top 10 Game Tunes

After getting a new iPod last week, I asked my followers on Twitter for some recommendations for game music to stick on it. I've got my fair share, but there is no harm in adding to the collection!


Well one follower, Mr. Bradley Fish of Fishy's View took this on board, recommended me some great tracks, then created a top 10 list of his own on his blog. Inspired by his top ten list, here are my top ten favourite game tracks of all time. 


Pretty much all of these tracks hold some kind of memory, especially from my childhood. 


Now bare in mind I love my Zelda music, so I have decided to do a similar list dedicated to Zelda tracks in a few days (keep checking back!). So, I hope you all enjoy my list! What would make up your top ten?


10. Never Ending Journey from Dragon Warrior Monsters


I have many good memories of playing this game when I was younger. This track in particular has stuck with me the most, as I'm instantly taken back to the wandering around in the various locations, picking up beefjerky, "an herb" (gotta love bad English in games) and encountering new monsters.


9. Hog Wild from Crash Bandicoot


One of my favourite levels in Crash Bandicoot, the Hog Wild theme brings back some great memories of taking it in turns to complete levels with my brother when we were first bought our PS1. Fun stuff!


8. Delfino Plaza from Super Mario Sunshine


Delfino Plaza is a cheerful, summery piece that reminds me of the hours I spent on this great Mario title for the Gamecube


7. Fly Me To The Moon from Bayonetta


Whilst this may be a cover track, I had to include this. It's a fun take on a classic track, and reminds me of the crazy gameplay that Bayonetta had. 


6. [Ending] Tribute from Halo 3


Halo 3 ends with this rousing, quite emotional ending theme. Great stuff.


5. Gerudo Valley from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time


This one had to get a mention! No doubt a favourite for a large majority of Zelda fans, Gerudo Valley has a great guitar heavy sound. 


4. Neverending Journey from Lost Odyssey


A truly under-rated game, not only is Lost Odyssey a joy to complete, but it has a fantastic accompanying soundtrack too. Neverending Journey plays during the map/location select screen, and whilst we only hear a snippet of it (unless you stay on the map screen for quite some time), it's a great piece that switches from a relaxing acoustic piece into a full-blown guitar riff by the 1.38 mark. Give it a listen.


3. Lullaby from Braid


The music in quirky time meddler Braid is in it's entirety beautiful, but this one seems to resonate emotion from me than the rest. A hauntingly beautiful piano piece.


2. Main Theme from Tomb Raider


Many tracks in my top ten make it there in the first place due to some kind of nostalgic gaming memory. This is definitely true when it comes to my reason behind choosing the Main Theme from Tomb Raider. As a child I had many fond memories watching my Dad (an avid gamer himself) play through countless games such as the Resident Evil series, and in this instance, the Tomb Raider series.


The main theme reminds me of the first time he loaded up that game back in our brand new PS1, and from that moment on, I was hooked. It's a beautiful piece with some great memories for me of my Dad having what we coined "Tomby Rage" (come on...that game has many frustrating puzzle moments!), freaking out at the mythological beasts and all of us working together to decipher where to go next.


1. Dragon Roost Island from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.


Aww...of course when I think of my favourite game tunes, a Zelda one had to take the top spot. Although Link's Awakening was the game that started my love for Zelda, I adore the Wind Waker soundtrack. So, here's Dragon Roost Island


Want to see me do more features? Feel free to email me any suggestions!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome list!!!

    Ah Delfino Plaza, great track. Dunno whether I prefer this version of the Yoshi version though and just as I'm typing this it's come up in the youtube song :P

    That Braid track is incredibly haunting, especially considering what happens at the end

    OH GOD, completely forgot about that Tomb Raider track, I used to just have it on the menu screen and I would listen to it for ages

    and great Wind Waker track too, personally I wouldnt put it in my Zelda top 10 if I did one but it's your list and your own opinions, which makes it a good thing!

    My sonic one should be up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the list! I forgot about the Yoshi version of Delfino Plaza! May have to swap it for that, as I think I prefer that one too. :)

      As for Dragon Roost Island, I just love that song, so it had to go in! I'm looking forward to reading your Sonic list, and I look forward to doing my Zelda one soon!

      Delete
  2. Cool list, TR soundtrack is incredibly atmospheric, I think it's part of what made the game so good. Great idea for a list, I'd sturggle choosing because there's so many good tunes down the years, many you assosiate with games you love. Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the list! I agree with how atmospheric the Tomb Raider soundtrack is!

      I had a lot of trouble narrowing it down to ten of my favourites, as there are so many more that I wished to include! Still, I tried. :P

      Delete
  3. I think that I might like "Delfino Plaza" a little too much ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it always puts a smile on my face! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice list, the Sinatra cover in Bayonetta is surprising in how it captures the feel of the game, isn't it? I'm a little disturbed at the lack of Castlevania tunes, though. What gives? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here!
Please note that any offensive comments or spam will not be approved.
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...